Job Opportunity: Program Officer, Global Refugee Sponsorship Initiative
Are you a smart, passionate, creative professional looking for a next step in your global career? Then we might have the role for you!
The Global Refugee Sponsorship Initiative (GRSI) is a unique and ambitious multi-stakeholder collaboration that is mandated to encourage and support the adoption of refugee sponsorship programs around the world. The University of Ottawa Refugee Hub is a founding partner of the GRSI and also houses its Chairperson, Professor Jennifer Bond. We are seeking an ambitious Program Officer to join our GRSI project team.
The Refugee Hub was founded at the University of Ottawa in 2012. Our mission is to foster justice and human rights for refugees at local, national, and international levels through innovative research, programs and partnerships. We are supported in our work by a team of in-house experts, a wide range of consultants, and a broad and diverse community of partners and stakeholders. The GRSI is one of our six core program areas.
The GRSI is a partnership between the Government of Canada, the UNHCR, the Open Society Foundations, the Radcliffe Foundation, and the Refugee Hub. We are working with approximately 20 countries, and actively deploy delegations of policy and community experts all over the world; coordinate workshops and host delegations to Canada; and create a wide range of tools to support those working to introduce sponsorship programs in new places. We are seeking a Program Officer to join our small but powerful team to help support the work of the GRSI program, and support the delivery of the GRSI’s high impact and high profile international agenda. The position is based at the Refugee Hub in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
The ideal candidate will be an organized, creative professional with experience working with multiple partners and stakeholders, and working in a dynamic team environment. They will also possess strong interpersonal and written communication skills and be comfortable working at a fast pace on a variety of files while navigating complex and high-level stakeholder relationships.
Specific duties include:
- Engaging in direct advisory services to country stakeholders—including government, private sector and civil society organizations—from various countries interested in community sponsorship of refugees
- Supporting the coordination, administration and delivery of the GRSI programming, including:
- Coordinating GRSI presence at various international events
- Organizing and facilitating information-exchange and capacity building of visiting delegations to Canada
- Supporting team members on a variety of tasks including communications, research, meetings and reports
- Monitoring and reporting on GRSI activities for both internal purposes and donor/ partnership accountability purposes
- Must be willing to work occasional overtime and be capable of working in a fast-paced environment under tight deadlines. Occasional overseas travel may also be required.
- A university degree in a relevant field
- At least 3 years of relevant experience working in a not-for-profit project environment
- Proven written and interpersonal communication skills; ability to tailor messages and writing to a variety of audiences
- Demonstrated maturity, tact, integrity and diplomacy with a professional presence and manner capable of exercising independent judgment and flexibility
- Familiarity with refugee issues, global and domestic politics, intergovernmental or public affairs, community sponsorship, or other related areas will also be considered an asset.
- Experience working in a professional context with a variety of global stakeholders, including national governments, key decision makers, multi-lateral institutions, donors and/or civil society organizations
- Multi-lingual considered an asset (working languages at present include English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, German, Arabic, etc…)
If you are interested in contributing to the work of the Refugee Hub as a Program Officer with the GRSI, please submit your CV and cover letter by midnight Thursday, August 9, 2018 by e-mail to email@example.com. Please include “GRSI Program Officer” in the subject line.