JOB OPPORTUNITY: Senior Research Analyst
The Refugee Hub is seeking a Senior Research Analyst to join our team!
The University of Ottawa Refugee Hub was founded in 2012, and our mission is to foster justice and human rights for refugees at local, national, and international levels through innovative research, programs and partnerships. We are supported in our work by a team of in-house experts, a wide range of consultants, and a broad and diverse community of partners and stakeholders.
The Refugee Hub is seeking a Senior Research Analyst to join our Research and Policy Portfolio, which engages in a broad range of legal scholarship and policy-focused research as well as research support for strategic public interest litigation. Working closely with and reporting to the Legal and Research Director, the Senior Research Analyst will help to shape the strategic direction and priorities of the portfolio and will actively contribute to:
- Innovative legal scholarship on domestic and international refugee and migration issues
- Both public-facing and behind the scenes research and analysis to help inform policy discussion on refugee and migration issues both domestically and internationally
- The overall administration and management of the Research and Policy Portfolio
- Providing leadership to and managing projects of the Refugee Law Research Team (RLRT) – a team of law students, graduate students and alumni engaged in policy research, legal scholarship and public interest litigation support
- Supporting two Hub-led clinic courses at the University of Ottawa Faculty of Law
- The Refugee Hub’s participation in research partnerships and consortia;
- Knowledge mobilization, including publication and promotion of Hub research products
- The Hub’s participation in, and hosting of, academic and civil society conferences, workshops, meetings and lectures
- The management of research partnerships and key stakeholder relationships
- The development of Hub communications products relating to research and clinical projects
- Campus outreach and community-building activities of the Hub
This is a full-time, 12-month term position based in Ottawa, Ontario and is an excellent opportunity for an ambitious researcher with a strong track record in the field of refugee law and policy. The salary range for this position is 65K to 75K per year.
The ideal candidate will be a mature, organized professional with demonstrated experience working both independently and in a team, as well as with multiple partners and stakeholders. They will have a proven track record in the field of refugee law and/or policy, and possess exemplary team leadership, research and writing skills.
- Law degree from an accredited Canadian law school (or equivalent) or a post-graduate degree in a relevant field with a superior academic record
- At least 3 years of relevant professional research experience
- Exceptional writing and editing skills in English
- Track record of peer reviewed and/or policy-oriented publications
- Proven interpersonal communication and team leadership skills
- Demonstrated maturity, tact, integrity and diplomacy with a professional presence and manner capable of exercising independent judgment and flexibility
Assets / Preferred Qualifications:
- Experience with strategic public interest litigation
- Prior experience with the Refugee Hub’s areas of specialty, including (but not limited to) the intersection of refugee law and criminal law, refugee sponsorship, access to justice for refugees, global refugee protection and migration governance frameworks, and multi-stakeholder partnerships
- Experience with clinical legal education
- Bilingualism (English/French) or proficiency in other languages
If you are interested in contributing to the work of the Refugee Hub as Senior Research Analyst, please submit your CV, cover letter and writing sample by midnight Sunday, February 10, 2019 by e-mail to email@example.com. Please include “Senior Research Analyst” in the subject line
For the PDF version, please click here.