Website Design and Development Services:
Knowledge Platform on Pathways to Refugee Protection
The University of Ottawa Refugee Hub (“Refugee Hub”) is seeking web design and development services (the “services”) for a new website that will serve as a knowledge clearinghouse for researchers and practitioners interested in pathways to refugee protection (the “subject matter”). This website will include a broad range of knowledge resources curated by the Refugee Hub, including a browsable and searchable database that must be easily updatable through regular (e.g. monthly) data extracts from a reference management program (Zotero).
The website should be built using the WordPress platform, enabling the use of off-the-shelf components (e.g. blog) and bespoke components (e.g. browsable and searchable database) as described below. The site must be developed in a manner that allows ongoing content management and updates by non-technical client-side staff, without the need for specialized web design or development expertise.
The successful bidder (the “contractor”) will have experience developing attractive and user-friendly websites with a similar range of functionality, and the demonstrated expertise and capacity necessary to deliver all project components on time and on budget.
The project seeks to inform research, policy and practice through knowledge exchange by developing a web facility to:
The website will serve a varied audience, including: academics and other researchers, policymakers, frontline workers, civil society organizations, grass-roots activists, refugee sponsors and refugee newcomers. All content will be curated by the Refugee Hub, drawing upon extensive networks and using protocols developed as part of this project.
We invite competitive bids between CAD$20,000 and CAD$36,000 for the design and development of this website. These costs should be exclusive of hosting costs for the WordPress solution. The proposal should give an indication of timescales and workplan, to meet the planned launch date.
It is foreseen that the design and development of this website in WordPress will take approximately 40 to 45 person days. All proposals should provide a proper breakdown of the project in person days, including their daily cost. This should cover at minimum the following elements:
- Planning and scoping
- Design – look & feel and interface
- Setting up WordPress, including web features (see anticipated features below)
- Setting up design in WordPress site
- Building out the database, initial population with xml file and facility to make periodic updates (push or pull, see description in Annex A)
- Testing and troubleshooting
- Instructing the client on content management and updates, including to the database.
Separate from this project budget, bidders are invited to indicate daily and/or hourly rates for occasional site maintenance and updates over the next three years, estimated to be in the range of 4 days p.a. (at an additional cost to the initial development).
Timeline & Important Deadlines
It is anticipated that the project will be implemented according to the following timeline:
- RFP Release Date: 7 March 2022
- Response Deadline: 21 March 2022
- Vendor Selection: 30 March 2022
- Project Start: 5 April 2022
- Desired Launch Date: 29 June 2022
Note: This timeline is subject to revision at the client’s discretion. The successful bidder must demonstrate the capability to successfully complete the project on this timeline, but must also maintain flexibility to accommodate timeline revisions (to a later launch date) without detrimental effects to the project.
The successful bidder will demonstrate the following qualifications and capabilities:
- Significant experience of developing multi-faceted WordPress sites, which must include significant experience working with external APIs, integrating APIs into WordPress databases, developing effective and user-friendly search and browse functionality, and undertaking bespoke development
- Integrated design and development expertise within the project team, with the ability to deliver both visual and technical elements to a high standard of quality
- Demonstrated project management excellence
- Experience working with Third Sector clients, such as universities and/or NGOs
- Relevant qualifications/certification
- Professional insurance/guarantees
- Demonstrated capability to provide ongoing ad-hoc technical support
The final selection of the successful contractor will be based on demonstrated expertise and competence, ability to deliver within the deadlines indicated and value for money.
Please submit your proposal through the Refugee Hub’s Bamboo HR portal by 11.59pm EDT on March 21st, 2022.
For full details, including a description of anticipated website sections and functionality, proposal guidelines and submission instructions, please refer to the PDF document at the top of the page.